Minors secure second win narrowly

Post date: Jul 3, 2012 7:35:46 PM

Máigh Cuilinn 3-06 Meelick Eyrecourt 1-10

Moycullen survived a determined fightback from a Meelick Eyrecourt side they could not put away in the same decisive fashion they had Michael Cusack's in the previous home game. Both sides staged early attacks bit it was Eyrecourt who got the first two points on the board as Mágh Cuilinn struggled to find the range. A monster strike from play by Jack Kelly from distance on the sideline gave the home side the lift they needed. Scores remained tight but with Mágh Cuilinn dependent on frees from Jack Kelly as against the more prolific point scoring of Meelick. The full back line of Mágh Cuilinn led by Conor Kyne and their goalkeeper looked the more secure and so it proved when Michael Lalor swept the ball into the net, as the Shannonsiders were unable to repel Andrew Hurney's run into the danger area. Eyrecourt did manage a couple of points in reply before they went down to another goal when the goalkeeper could only delay Conor Noone's shot's progress over the line. Meelick did respond and the halftime score was finely balanced at 2-05 to 0-08.

The early part of the second saw both sides attacking and a combination of tough defending and some wastefulness saw nothing scored for over 10 minutes. With Mágh Cuilinn on top around the centre of the field, Eyrecourt sought to increase the supply to their forwards by adventurously deploying a corner back there. The ploy came unstuck as a move down the left for second half sub in the right corner Ryan Fox unmarked in front of goal and he made no mistake.Eyrecourt persisted all the same while saved by the crossbar and a goal line scramble in their own goal, they finally registered a couple of points. Andrew Hurney proved more prudent than many of his goal fever colleagues when he popped a neat point to leave Mágh Cuilinn five points clear and the finishing line in sight. However the drama was not over when the situation seemed under control a Meelick forward managed a "low contact handpass" to a colleague who wellstruck shot through the crowd beat Eanna Kelleghan low to his left. The three remaining added minutes were tense but the defence proved equal to the task.