Late goal delivers result for Portumna U21s

Post date: Mar 13, 2012 6:43:08 PM

Mágh Cuilinn 0-09 Portumna 1-09

Mágh Cuilinn fell to a late goal by Shane O'Meara as they contested a tight affair with three points the full extent of the margin between the teams throughout. Mágh Cuilinn had the earliest chance with Ian Noone's effort drifting wide of the left hand post but he was on hand moments later to guide another effort over from a central position. Portumna responded with a point from a free and indeed most of Portumna's scores were as a result of frees given away. Brian Bohan was on target for Mágh Cuilinn with Portumna having racked up three frees and they enjoyed a period of dominance stretching their lead out three point, 5 to 2. Eanna Malone was getting through a mountain of work at centre back but his marker was also proving an elusive and difficult customer. Ray Walsh was forced to make a last ditch block to avert a certain goal with Alan Kelly tidying up the loose ball. Ian Noone tried his luck for goal buoyed by previous success but the Portumna keeper would not be beaten easily. Another point from play from Seamus O'Conghaile was met with a reply from a free from Portumna. Brian Bohan scored from play again to reduce the margin to two again but Portumna replied before Seamus O'Conghaile scored the first Mágh Cuilinn free of the morning to leave the halftime score at 0-07 to 0-05.

After several chances fell to both sides, it was eventually Mágh Cuilinn who got on the scoreboard first through a free from Seamus O'Conghaile. Portumna did manage to restore the lead but after several fruitless attacks Ian Noone caught a well directed pass in front of goal and planted it on target. Seamus O'Conghaile then landed a superb free from a tight angle to level the match. Mágh Cuilinn were the dominant team and Kevin O'Donovan looked to be about to finish into an empty net but somehow a Portumna player manage to dive to get a block in and the ball looped wildly but to the wrong side of the post for a 65 that went unrewarded.

Niall Acton then got out in front caught a pass and turned to swing the ball over the bar to put Mágh Cuilinn in the lead for the first time since the opening minutes. There were unable to add to their advantage however and Portumna coverted a free at the other end to equalise again. Both sides missed opportunities from play and placed balls. Niall Acton looked about to repeat his earlier effort but his shot was mishit and fell short. From the resultant attack, Mágh Cuilinn missed several opportunities to clear as the defenders were drawn toward the ball. Centre forward Treacy found a yard of space to thread a pass to O'Meara, one on one with Raymond Walsh in an acre of space. The speedster only had one thought and he bore down on goal giving keeper, Eanna Kelleghan no chance.

With only two minutes of normal time to play, Mágh Cuilinn were left with no choice but to go in search of goals. In hindsight, given the fact that five extra minutes were played and Mágh Cuilinn were awarded two 65s and a 20m free in that period as they laid siege to the Portumna goal, hindsight is 20/20. The result proved only semi relevant as both teams had already qualified for the semifinals anyway. The contest was a very valuable exercise for both teams. Mágh Cuilinn should be confident as the Portumna side are as good as they are likely to meet and they have plenty of scope to improve. A real possibility of a County medal awaits each player.

Mágh Cuilinn: Eanna Kelleghan, Alan Kelly, Raymond Walsh, Paddy Walsh, Gerard Molloy, Eanna Malone, Emmett Kerrigan, Kevin O'Donovan, Seamus O'Conghaile, Conor Kyne, Ian Noone, Niall Acton , David Jackson, Brian Bohan, Luke Bohan

Subs: John Doran for David Jackson; Andrew Hurney for Luke Bohan

Subs Not Used: Fiachra Davoren, Jack Kelly, Cillian Mullarkey, Kurtis Kyne, Colin Keeler: