Mágh Cuilinn left to rue first half errors

Post date: Mar 5, 2012 3:40:20 PM

Mágh Cuilinn 0-09 Castlegar 2-07

Despite a more encouraging performance, Mágh Cuilinn failed to achieve their first victory at senior level in Castlegar on a bright but chilly Sunday morning. Mágh Cuilinn opened well with Tomás Higgins looking impressive in the early exchanges and Eanna Noone pointing the first score from the centre of the field. They might have extended their lead if the finishing had been more clinical as they enjoyed a substantial possession. It was Castlegar, who made the impact on the scoreboard mainly through the concession of cheap frees but Kevin Brady's pace raiding from midfield was also causing problems. As the Mágh Cuilinn defence failed to track the movement of Castlegar attackers, opportunities arose and Eric Fox was soon facing a Castlegar forward one-on-one. While he was able to block the initial shot with his body, the follow up shot from the endline barely eluded Sean Rossa McDermott to creep over the line.

In the period that followed Castlegar extended their lead and when loose marking delivered another shooting chance which Eric Fox could not stop despite getting a hurley to it, they led 2-4 to 0-2 points 20 minutes in, Mágh Cuilinn's second score coming from a Vinnie Faherty free. Mágh Cuilinn had created good scoring opportunities but Vinnie Faherty, Robert Molloy and Eanna Noone among others all shot wide from good positions. Equally, it must also be said that Ger Farragher was not having a vintage day from placed balls, scoring 3 from six opportunities. Undaunted toward the end of the half, points from play from Gary Bohan after great work by Vinnie Faherty, two from Chris Hurney and another free from Vinnie Faherty to one further delicately finished point from Castlegar meant the halftime deficit was 2-05 to 0-06.

In the second half, Mágh Cuilinn withdrew a player to midfield, which took the pressure off their defence, restricting Castlegar to two points in the half hour. However, they themselves could only muster three points, two frees from Vinnie Faherty and a trademark Pat Lydon effort. While there were some misses from placed balls (on both sides) the number of shooting opportunities was vastly reduced on the first half. Worryingly, Mágh Cuilinn again failed to create a goal while conceding at the other end, the reverse of their Intermediate success. Overall though it was a hardworking performance in what are still trying pitch conditions. Mágh Cuilinn are still winning large amounts of possession, they just need to improve the accuracy of its use.

Scorers: Vinnie Faherty 0-4 all frees, Chris Hurney 0-2, Eanna Noone, Gary Bohan, Pat Lydon 1 point each.

Mágh Cuilinn: Eric Fox, Seán Rossa McDermott, Matt Donohue, Barry Faherty, Richie Devaney, Tomás Higgins, Seosamh O'Faharta, Pat Lydon, Eanna Noone, Chris Hurney, Vinnie Faherty, Robert Molloy, Morgan Darcy, Gary Bohan, Niall Mannion.

Substitutions: Eanna Malone for SR MacDermott, Dan Kelly for Morgan Darcy, Michael Hurney for Gary Bohan, Henry Lydon for Eanna Malone (blood)

Subs not used: Michael Darcy, Paul Burke, David Bohan, Seamus O'Conghaile, Michael Faherty, Patrick Reilly, Gerard Molloy, Patrick Walsh, Raymond Walsh,