U16s Overcome Mullagh to reach B1 final

Post date: Aug 26, 2013 6:49:32 PM

Our U16's qualified for the final of their Championship by beating Mullagh at Kenny Park on Sunday morning. With the fixture being published only on Monday, there was some scrambling around to have everyone available but Caleb McGuinness made the effort to come back fom the UK with a lot of help, David Jackson made an early start from Ballina with an enthusiastic Mayo fan and a virtually full strength squad took the field.

Mágh Cuilinn looked like they might rue some missed early chances, including goal chances from Ryan Fox and Joe Lydon, but points from play from, Anraoi Whyte, Ryan Fox and Daire Davoren had them three points to one ahead although they had dominated to a far greater extent. As their shooting from play and frees continued to misfire, Mullagh added seven points in succession all from frees. While five was not a crisis, when a long low ball was missed by full back line and goalkeeper giving the waiting forward a simple tap in to stretch the gap to 1-08 to 0-03, eight points was. To their credit, Mágh Cuilinn battled back and were able to eke out three points before half time through Anraoi Whyte and Ryan Fox to leave the score at 1-08 to 0-06.

After some re-organisation at halftime, Mágh Cuilinn started the second half well choosing to tap over two 20 metre frees to leave just a goal between the sides. In the move of the match, David Jackson retrieved his own breaking ball and found Daire Davoren on the opposite wing, who immediately placed Ryan Fox coming through the centre, drawing the full back line and able to release to Anraoi Whyte who made no mistake from 13m, crashiing the ball to the roof of the net. Mullagh responded and the game entered a long struggle with the teams tied at 1-08 for a long then 1-09 after an exchange of points. Mágh Cuilinn edged ahead with a point from Joseph Lydon before the deciding score of the match came. Annraoi Whyte's effort for a point from distance dipped under the crossbar and slipped from the goalkeeper's grasp into the net. From then on Mágh Cuilinn dominated and although Mullagh did win a penalty toward the end, Mágh Cuilinn had already extended their lead to seven and succeeded in deflecting the penalyt over the bar. The final act of the game was the restoration of the seven point margin. The team can now look forward to a third and decisive meeting with Ahascragh Fohenagh in the final.