Junior Recover from Slow Start to Take Title

Post date: Nov 17, 2013 5:22:54 PM

Mágh Cuilinn 0-16 Kilconieron 0-09

Mágh Cuilinn contested the inaugural County Junior B Shield final against Kilconieron at Carnmore on a mid-November Saturday. After two home wins against Mountbellew Moylough and Ballinderreen, hopes were high that Mágh Cuilinn could find a performance to end the season with an adult title to add to our U13 and U16 successes.

The opening minutes were not encouraging however as Mágh Cuilinn struggled to work a score and Kilconieron picked off four unanswered scores with centre forward Cathal Brennan causing the most problems for both Padraig Dunne and John Faherty. Tommy Newell’s close range ground shot sent a Kilconieron keeper, Mark O’Connor diving low to his left to save. Morgan Darcy found the cross wind stronger than allowed for with the resultant 65m. Finally David Bohan got the show on the road with a fine point from just inside the 13m mark on the right sideline. Morgan Darcy having had his range finder made no mistake with a free from a free slightly further left of his previous effort. Kilconieron responded almost immediately but Darcy surpassed his previous effort with a placed ball from out near the sideline.

Mágh Cuilinn were beginning to wrest control, with John Faherty gaining the upper hand at centre back, Tommy Newell’s move to centre forward matching Alan Kelly’s energy in midfield and John Lalor coming in to good effect. The full back line despite one or two anxious moments, left little to do for Michael Darcy in goal, who could concentrate on well placed puckouts throughout. Andrew Hurney won a free on the 20m line from which Darcy resisted the temptation to go low and took the minor. Kevin O’Donovan pointed sides to tie the scores on five points each and this remained the case for an extended period. Mágh Cuilinn were wayward from a number of opportunities and with Kevin O’Donovan and Andrew Hurney running at the Kilconieron rearguard but for a combination of an incomplete final pass and good goalkeeping, Paddy Reilly and others might have had several goals. Kilconieron did get in for the final score of the half to take a slender one point lead to half time.

An early flurry from Kilconieron extended their lead to two points, but Morgan Darcy added his fourth free to restore the minimum margin. Soon after another Darcy free brought an equaliser. Henry Lydon collected and burst out from full back and his long delivery went straight to Tommy Newell who found the target to put Mágh Cuilinn in front for the first time. Kilconieron came straight back to equalise and with Mágh Cuilinn missing a few opportunities hit the front one last time. A Paul Burke score restored parity again. Morgan Darcy was accurate again from a free to secure the lead a second time before Frank Enright accepted a Jack Kelly high delivery to put two points between the sides. Kilconieron tried to shake things up by swapping Paul McDonagh and Padraig Hannon at full forward and wing forward, however following their men Ronan Higgins was equally adept at full back while Henry Lydon was unconcerned about a move to wing back. John Hand was attacking every ball and winning most of them and frees to boot while James Donohue was minding house so well, Michael Darcy was tempted to call for a deck chair.

Tommy Newell took a big hit to win a free centrally and Morgan Darcy obliged to put three points between the sides. Eanna Kelleghan might have killed the game off when put through on goal by Andrew Hurney but O’Connor saved well again. Jack Kelly recovered as his first effort was blocked to score from a tight angle on the left sideline. Andrew Hurney was raiding once again but this time had his progress stopped by a wild pull. A red card resulted and Morgan Darcy chose to take the easy point from the penalty. Richard Neylon came in for Tommy Newell whose mileage on the day had long exceeded the service interval. Frank Enright accepted a pass from fellow veteran Darcy to stretch the margin to six. For the final act, Paul Burke drew a foul cleverly and Darcy made the long range effort look easy to complete the scoring.

John Faherty accepted the Shield from County Hurling Committee Chairperson, Joe Byrne, and thanked selectors, Caoimh Davoren, Adrian McDonagh and Seamus Fox for their efforts in keeping the team going especially when results were not encouraging.

Mágh Cuilinn: Michael Darcy, John Hand, Henry Lydon, James Donohue, Ronan Higgins, John Faherty, Paraic Dunne, Kevin O’Donovan(0-1), Alan Kelly, Andrew Hurney, Paddy Reilly, Morgan Darcy(0-9, all frees), David Bohan(0-1) Tommy Newell(0-1), Paul Burke(0-1):

Subs: John Lalor for Paraic Dunne; Frank Enright(0-2) for Paddy Reilly; Jack Kelly(0-1) for Alan Kelly, Shane Richardson, Alan Jackson, Barry Faherty, Cillian Mullarkey, David Kearns, Robert Callaghan.