Gort take the spoils in battle for top of the table

Post date: Apr 8, 2014 1:08:41 PM

Moycullen 0:05 - Gort 1:04

Moycullens U14 hurlers unbeaten run in this years championship came to an end yesterday evening at Ballydotia.

Both teams joined at 6pts from 3 games meant this was going to be a tight affair.

The underfoot conditions were difficult and didn't allow for a free flowing game as would have expected. Moycullen opened well with the aid of a breeze, a long delivered free from Alan Carr found its way to Sean O'Seoige who fired a screaming shot towards goal only to be deflected brilliantly by the Gort keeper. On the 6th minute a 65' from Carr rebounded off the crossbar and Moycullen were unlucky not to get something from the resulting scramble. Evan Kenny was either involved or created almost every passage of play from the middle. On 12min the combination Andrew Power & Tom O'Connor found a near pass to Fionn McDonagh who controlled well and laid off to Carr who was fouled. The resulting free from 40m was sweetly struck between the posts by Carr. On 14min saw the best Moycullen movement of the day with Kenny winning possession, finding McDonagh to his right, McDonagh side stepped his marker and passing perfectly to Niall FitzGerald who made no mistake delivering a perfect point. Moments later McDonagh broke away into the centre and found space and time to score a point from 35m. At this stage it was all Moycullen. Then on 15min Gort broke through the Moycullen centre and a blistering shot from close range was brilliantly stopped by Cillian Clancy. In fact inside the next 30seconds Clancy was called into action twice with 2 fine catches but Moycullen failed to clear the danger and committed a foul on the 20m. Gort scored from the free to bring them within 3pts. On 19min Moycullen were awarded a 20m free directly in front of the goal. With the aid of the breeze and dominance this was a goal opportunity but Carrs shot was saved well on the line and cleared out for a 65'. Just before the half time Carr won a free 40m out from the Gort goal close to the sideline. Carr struck the Sliotar neatly over the black spot to leave it Moycullen 5pts to Gort 1pt at half time.

Without top scorer Cian Folan and wing back Jamie Cox who are both out through injury Moycullen needed to dig deep to maintain the lead for the second half. Gort had other ideas and from the restart they meant business. They're half back line dominated the next 20min launching attack after attack. The Moycullen defence were under pressure for almost the entire half but held Gort scoreless from play. However some clumsy tackles by Moycullen resulted in placed ball opportunities for the Gort free taker who scored every time. On a rare attack on 29min Moycullen were awarded a free from 40m close to the right hand sideline. Carr stepped up and factored in the breeze in his approach but as he struck the Sliotar the breeze dropped and the shot sailed to the right and wide. Gort went on the attack again and a brilliant save by Clancy on 34min followed by a clearance by O'Connor was the type of inspiration needed to get the local boys back in control. A free on 38min for Gort from 40m found its way to the Moycullen net which put the visitors in front for the first time. Moycullen pushed forward and Oran McLaughlin tried to close the gap with a point effort from 25m but it went right and wide. Then in the dying seconds of injury time Moycullen were awarded a 20m directly in front of the goal. Gort packed almost everyone between the posts while Clancy ran up the pitch to try and secure the win, we needed the Goal. Clancy struck with power but the Gort defence blocked well and the final whistle blew.

A disappointing result but Moycullen are still in a strong position with 3 wins from 4 matches. The next round is away to Ahascragh Fohenagh where Moycullen will aim to recover their winning trend.